June 30, 2013

The Hotshot Prayer

A few years ago, I wrote this poem.  I could only find a Firemans Prayer for structure firefighting.  So being the wife of a HOTSHOT, I wrote this poem.   

The Hotshot's Prayer


When I am called to duty, Lord
To fight the roaring blaze,
Please keep me safe and strong
I may be here for days.

Be with my fellow crewmembers,
as we hike up to the top.
Help us cut enough line,
For this blaze to stop.

Let my skills and hands
be firm and quick.
Let me find those safety zones,
as we hit and lick.

For if this day on the line,
I should lose my life,
Lord, bless my Hotshot Crew,
my children and my WIFE.

~~ Patricia Huston, IHC Wife  ~~
copywright October 2002

3 comments:

Nathan Quist said...

BEAUTIFULL!!!!

Unknown said...

This truly is beautiful!
Made me tear up.. Great Job! :)

Unknown said...

I just had to hold back every tear I could thank you for sharing