September 2, 2017

What's it like being a Firefighter Wife?






Yesterday I had to go to get my cell phone screen replaced at the mall.  I told the man one of my husband's firefighters referred me to him.  He said "Oh your husband is a firefighter, I give firefighter discounts."  After conversing with this young kid (anyone 20 years younger than me is a kid....LOL) about things, he said "So what's it like to be a Firefighter wife?"
Although I can list off things us wives are capable of doing when our guys are at work, it caught me off guard.....

Hmm....... What is it like?  




Not sure what's harder being a Wildland Firefighter who is gone from his family a lot, or being a Wildland Firefighter Wife who misses him terribly!! Don't get me wrong, I know their jobs are hard,  they work long hours, miss meals, go days without showering, work in extreme heat & at times difficult terrain, carry heavy packs, and can at times are sleep-deprived.  I know my job isn't tough like that, but sometimes being the Strength behind the Boots feels just as hard!  Just like our Firefighters, a Firefighter Wife must be strong and brave.

Making plans during fire season, means you have to be flexible! Knowing at anytime he can be called out for the next assignment, knowing he can be gone up to 21+ days.  Days-off aren’t guaranteed and appreciated when they get them.  We have to get used to going events alone, canceling plans, and taking care of the kids alone. A firefighter wife needs to be brave enough to investigate a noise heard late at night and help kids get back to sleep after a nightmare.  She needs to be capable of handling small emergencies (esp. with children). Mostly it’s about taking care of things that are usually divided between us, which now are my responsibility alone.  While they are gone, holidays happen, bills need to be paid, appointments need to be made, the lawn needs to be mowed, the car needs repairs and we need to tuck kids into bed at night and know how to answer questions like “When will Daddy be home?  Does he think of us when he’s gone?”  Some nights are lonely laying down to sleep next to his pillow.  Falling asleep to the late night TV show, rather than the sound of his breathing.  The quiet night noises are really quiet when he’s gone.  There’s many sleepless nights, especially if we know they are working night shift.  When he’s gone text messages mean the world and are extremely treasured.


Just like being a Wildland Firefighter is a rare breed, I think so are the ones who love them!!


(I wouldn't want to married to a man who is anything but a firefighter.  I love being married to a man who is as passionate about his family as he is his job.  As a 3rd generation Wildland Firefighter Wife, this is the life I wanted and prayed for.   I've been happily married to my Wildland Firefighter (Hotshot Superintendent) for 20 years and look forward to many many more with him!!)  


No comments: