August 19, 2015

It seems like the hard gets harder....

So after 18 years, you'd think that these fire assignments would be easier.  The fires in SoCal have kept my husband's crew very busy.  Since the 1st of July, they've only had 6 days off.  I was so happy yesterday when I heard that his crew was being released from the incident en route home.  They got home last night, around dinner time.  I was so excited!!  He called me and said he was bringing his truck home.  (I should've known something was up).  When he walked in the door, greeted by 2 very happy children and a happy wife (after 18 yrs home comings still are so great), he shared the news.  He got a phone call after everyone had already gone home, they were being assigned to yet another incident.  So while I was very thankful he was home for the night, able to rock his baby girl to sleep and kiss his little boy; I felt like I wanted to cry. He told me to hang in there, because there's only 2 months left of fire season.  (although in SoCal fire season is pretty much year long anymore)  I don't know if it seems harder now because we have 2 young kids or if it's because he's been gone a lot more this year.  We live on the "compound" or fire station property, so we get to see him basically until he leaves the station.  Today, we were in town, but I saw on my Find My Friends app, that he was about to pass by my location (but on the freeway) so as I stepped out the door and looked toward the freeway, I saw them pass.  It kind of made me even more sad.  I know they are so happy when they get assignments, because as hubby explained it one time "A firefighter with no fires is like a cop with no criminals".  But it is hard on the families especially when they come home only to leave again, soon.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm a producer with KCRW, the National Public Radio affiliate in Los Angeles. Would you be interested in talking about your experiences as the spouse of a wildfire firefighter? If yes, or maybe yes, I can be reached at (213) 618-2108. Thanks, Saul Gonzalez

Erika's Inside World said...

Hi, I know exactly what you mean. My Husband is Senior Firefighter for the Angeles Natiional Forest. He has worked one season in the Helitach crew, another with Bear Divide HotShots, dispatch, and on Engines. He is out on an assignment with a type II crew right now. It's been hard with everything at home and with the limited time to talk about our son. Our son started Kindergaten this year and he's so excited! He wakes up asking for Daddy every morning and then tells me Daddy working in the Fire huh mommy. Now that my son knows he gets it a little. It's just hard when everyday gets to you and they are out working for weeks. I once seen a shirt that said, We interrupt this marriage to bring you fire season and giggled but it's so true. May God bless our husbands and you stay strong.