July 24, 2016

The sister-hood of Wildland Firefighter Wives






So I have to say that when I created this blog, I did it with all of you in mind.  We as Wildland Firefighter Wives don't have enough ways to relate to others who "get it", share stories with or ask for advice.  So I created this blog almost 9 years ago and have seen in so many ways how it has been used.

Shortly after creating the blog, I made a friend who had a husband working in the exact same agency, also working on a similar group.  We started emailing each other, sent Christmas cards and kept in touch.  We met in person about 2 years into our friendship (via the blog).  So neat to meet, have our husbands meet and share experiences.  That friendship is still going, although now we both have kids and are much busier.

I recently met a bunch of wonderful women in Prescott, although it's not the way I've wanted to meet new friends.  The Hotshot Prayer was discovered after the fatalities of the Granite Mountain Hotshots, via the blog.  And now through Facebook and the blog, I keep in touch with those wives.  A couple of them, we've talked about visiting each other on a vacation.  Even though those women lost their loved ones, they will always be part of the sister-hood of us Wildland Firefighter Wives!!

Just the other day, on a Facebook page where fire information was being posted, I posted a comment. Next thing you know, two wives (husbands also work for the same agency in our area) contacted me through private message.  Funny thing is, I know one of the wife's husband.  He worked on my husband's crew and I also knew him when I worked for that agency.  So now I have shared the blog with her, another friendship!! The other lady has two young children so that was something other than our husband's working "together" we had in common, too.  Found out that both of their husbands were also on the same fire my husband was on!!!

Such a small world and it's wonderful to connect with women who have things in common.

I created this blog and yes I am the moderator, but it's here for you.  You can always post a story, or question, or comment in the comment section.  Other wives like to read the posts and some can relate to them.  It's fun to see how this blog is viewed world-wide.  I just created it on my computer with the hopes of it being discovered!!

PS- I don't like to use names, crew names or agency specifics when posting.  We need to protect ourselves!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this!! It was so nice to connect with you. I've really enjoyed talking and "getting to know each other" these past couple days. It's so nice to have someone to talk to that gets it, and who I feel I can talk to and ask advice from as my husband is newer to this field, but one he has been passionate about and has pursued for so long. I'm so happy he's made it in and can't wait to watch him move up and grow. I'm so proud of him. Thank you for sharing your blog with me and befriending me!❤️

Priska said...

Hi there,
I'm a reporter with NPR member station KPCC in Los Angeles and I'm interested in profiling the spouse of a firefighter involved in the Sand Fire in Santa Clarita, CA. I'm looking for someone who would be willing to let me spend some time with them and talk about being, as you say, "the strength behind the boots."

If you might be able to connect me with someone, please email me -- pneely[at]scpr.org.

Thanks!
Priska

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for reaching out. I love your blog and that it speaks so close to home. I am so excited that I am meeting more WFF wives. It always makes things so much easier knowing other people go through the same things you are on a daily basis. I think it is so awesome that you know my husband and I get to meet you this week!!!!

Thank you for all you do ;)

Debbie

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this! I'm a USFS girlfriend, I've been dating him for about 4 years. I have to say that reading these comments made me tear up because I'm able to relate to a lot of you. It's nice to know that I'm not the only who feels this way. Sometimes I feel really alone and go through my frustrations but I don't really tell my boyfriend how hard it is for me at times. I don't tell him because I would hate to stress him out on top of everything else that he has to deal with. Plus I'm super proud of him, proud to be with him, and proud of the work that he does. Being in a relationship with him has definitely made me a stronger person. It's hard to complain about anything when your other half is sleeping on dirt in the rain or hiking for hours. I've heard so many stories that it makes me so thankful that I get to sleep in my warm foam mattress every night or even shower every day.