May 5, 2007

So where did you go for summer vacation?


I work at a school and summer break is about to begin. Every year, before school starts, the staff gathers to share lunch and everyone shares what they did over the summer vacation. Some teachers share their stories of traveling to Hawaii, Ireland or just to the beach. Some share how they landscaped their yards or they painted a room with their husband. And many more fun "summer vacation" things!! Then they get to me and I answer "Well, I sat in my air-conditioned house, watched some movies, went to dinner (alone) and just hung out with my dear friend." I explain the same thing every year, and I always get blank and confused looks. I try to tell them how I don't get to go away on "vacation" during the summer because my husband is gone a lot with fire season. He is a Wildland Firefighter and he is very busy during the summer months, when most large fires burn. They just don't understand that our "summer vacation" time is in the winter, when my husband is more likely to be home. I only use "summer vacation" as a time to relax without work and enjoy some movies or shopping sprees (keep sending those fire checks home direct deposit)!!
When my husband is home for R&R or he gets an actual DAY-OFF we try to go to a movie, or out to dinner. But, you know it never fails..... When you make plans (during the summer) that is almost a guarantee that he'll be ordered for a fire!! If we make it successfully to the movies or dinner, he's loaded down like an electronic man. He's got his cell-phone, a pager and we have a mobile scanner in the truck. READY TO GO AT A MOMENTS NOTICE!! I used to get bummed when things didn't work as planned. But I guess it was that fine print that I failed to read before we got married:


FIREMAN....Job can interrupt quiet moments or fun trips, be prepared at all times to kiss good-bye. Never complain and be thankful when they get home safely.


Despite some of the little disappointments I am like many other Firefighter Wives...............

PROUD OF MY FIREMAN!!!



Dear Lord,
I want to thank you for my husband. This fireman that I love.
Give me strength to give him support with your guidance from above.
Make me a good partner, attentive listener, my husband's best friend. When I chose him I chose a fireman, and this job on which we depend.
Lord, keep him safe when our plan's have gone awry, he's being sent to a vegetation fire where the brush is so dry.
Keep the raging flames from being his final fate. Help me to cope with the trauma of being a Fireman's Mate.
AMEN.


3 comments:

christine said...

hey trish, enjoyed this blog, will try to look at here and there.....enjoyed our time yest!!!

blessings
chris

Dlarosa13 said...

Love this one! True so true.... AT least for winter vacation there are less people : )

Anonymous said...

Amen to that!! I understand the summer "vacations". I am in your shoes. My husband and I LOVE to camp and travel. But we haven't done that in forever. Fire season usually hogs up all his time.